2SLGBTQIA+ Inclusion Commitment
We proudly commit to ongoing, authentic 2SLGBTQIA+ inclusion work as a pillar of our destination development strategy, using a meaningful approach that prioritizes genuine connection, measurable action, and continued learning. We know the work of inclusion does not happen in silos but together as a community. As such, we commit to seeking transformative change through ongoing collaboration with the local 2SLGBTQIA+ community, North Island Pride Society, local leaders, and industry members.
Our allyship must be active and continuous, extending beyond Pride celebrations and vacations. Therefore, Destination Campbell River is committed to standing with the community 365 days a year, supporting local initiatives, and being aware of current events and how they impact 2SLGBTQIA+ people living, working, and travelling here.
It Starts With Us
Our work begins with a thorough look inside Destination Campbell River’s policies and practices. Working with an LGBTQIA+ inclusion consultant and other DEI experts, our team will participate in continuous 2SLGBTQIA+ inclusion training, an organizational audit, and a survey process to cultivate, collect and listen to feedback from staff and the 2SLGBTQIA+ community. We commit to addressing our lack of understanding of the unique needs of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community as we work to better serve and support a diverse network of staff, suppliers, industry, and visitors.
For the Community
Our work must build a safer and more inclusive destination for all, benefiting both 2SLGBTQIA+ visitors and regional residents. Destination Campbell River is committed to centering the voices and lived experiences of 2SLGBTQIA+ people at the heart of this work. Annual surveys will collect local 2SLGBTQ+ experience feedback and data from residents and visitors. This data will inform our strategy and be used to measure, report, and improve the impact of this work and the growth of the local community.
Our Path Forward
We recognize that this is only the beginning of our work and relationship-building. Initially, Destination Campbell River will focus on the following areas of impact:
– An internal audit of our marketing, operational and destination development practices. This work includes deeply examining our culture, business processes, and procurement procedures and evaluating Destination Campbell River’s marketing strategy, content, and advertising.
– A deep dive into who we currently work with and the overall production process. Following this audit, appropriate training and measures will be undertaken to ensure Destination Campbell River prioritizes creatives, content creators, and models of diverse backgrounds.
– Examine and strengthen how we speak to 2SLGBTQIA+ travellers, which includes establishing a dedicated LGBTQ+ travel page and content strategy for www.campbellriver.travel.
– Education is vital. The Destination Campbell River team commits to undertaking ongoing DEI and 2SLGBTQIA+ specific training as an organization and working in collaboration to provide industry and community partners access to the same training and educational opportunities.
– Developing mutually beneficial resources and initiatives for the local and visiting 2SLGBTQIA+ community, such as training opportunities in allyship and inclusive customer service, a gender-inclusive washroom map, an allied business directory, and the Campbell River Pride Guide.